- Visiting Fellow, Cambridge University UK 2002-2003.
- Visiting Scholar, Harvard Institute of International Development (Harvard University) 1991-1992.
- Visiting Scholar, University of California, Berkeley 1977-1979.
- Barrister-at-Law, Lincoln’s Inn, London 1957-1959.
- Secondary education at Sultan Abdul Hamid College, Kedah and St. Xavier’s Institution, Penang.
- Primary education at Seberang Perak Malay School, Kedah.
- In private legal practice (1960-1965).
- Joined the Malaysian Judicial and legal service (1962-1965)
- Magistrate in Johor Baru, Johor (1962-63), Sessions Court Judge Muar, Johor (1963-1964), and Deputy Public Prosecutor in Perak (1964-1965).
- Returned to private legal practice with Allen & Gledhill (1965) and thereafter as partner in Daim & Gamani.
- Later ventured into business in Selangor and Malacca. Was property developer of various housing estates including Taman Maluri and Taman Bukit Maluri, Kuala Lumpur.
Held a number of corporate posts including Chairman of Peremba, Fleet Holdings, Syarikat Televisyen Malaysia (TV3) and Rakyat First Merchant Bankers.
- Appointed Senator, Parliament of Malaysia Dec 1980- April 1982.
- Member of Parliament for Kuala Muda, Kedah, April 1982-1986.
- Member of Parliament for Merbok, Kedah, 1986-March 2004.
- Finance Minister of Malaysia 14 July 1984 - 14 March 1991.
- Appointed Treasurer of UMNO 1984 , and Treasurer of the ruling political component party Barisan Nasional 1985.
- Member of Lembaga Pemegang Amanah Yayasan Pelaburan Bumiputra, 1984 - March 1991.
- Appointed Vice Chairman of Malaysian Business Council (Majlis Perdagangan Malaysia), Feb 1991.
- Joint Chairman of Langkawi Development Authority.
- Chairman of Northern Growth Triangle project (IMT-GT) between Thailand, Indonesia and Malaysia and special representative for the East Asean Growth (EAGA) between Philippines, Brunei, Indonesia and Malaysia , Jan 1992- Dec 2000.
- Chairman of Labuan Development Authority, Dec 1992- March 2000.
- Chairman of Kumpulan Ladang-Ladang Perbadanan Kedah Sdn Bhd June 1997-July 1998.
- Adjunct Professor, University Utara Malaysia, Sept. 1991 – July 1998.
- Pro-Chancellor of University Sains Malaysia, August 1994-December 1998.
- Appointed Executive Director, National Economic Action Council (NEAC – a special consultative body to the Cabinet established to spearhead economic recovery policies) 30 December 1997.
- Appointed Minister of Special Functions, Prime Minister’s Department, 26 June 1998.
- Appointed Minister of Finance 1, 9 January 1999 until dissolution of Parliament for general election in November 1999.
- Re-appointed Minister of Finance and Minister of Special Functions following Barisan Nasional’s general election victory, 14 December 1999.
- Founder member of Malaysian Wetlands Foundation since its inception in March 1997. Retired in April 1999.
Retired from all government official posts including that of Treasurer, Barisan Nasional/UMNO, 31 May 2001.
Appointed to Board of Governors, East-West Center, Hawaii, USA in March 2002, and is currently serving his third term. Also a member of the East-West Center Audit Committee.
Member of the Board of Trustees, Multimedia University, Malaysia. He is also the Chairman of the Internal Audit Committee, Asian Football Confederation (AFC) in Kuala Lumpur. Has since returned to the private sector and now heads the International Commercial Bank Group as Founder Chairman, with establishments in Europe, Asia and Africa.
Appointed to the Coca-Cola’s Malaysia Advisory Group, August 2009.
Conferred several distinguished awards by local Rulers and honorary doctorates by local universities. Also conferred highest distinguished award (2006) by Government of Republic of Benin, Africa.
Awarded the International Business Leader 2006 Award by the African Investor magazine for his vision and active investments in the International Commercial Banks (ICBs) operating in Africa. The African Investor Award is the only Pan-African award that recognizes and rewards an international business leader for exceptional business practice, economic achievements and investments across Africa. Previous recipients of the Award include Mr. Bill Gates, founder chairman of Microsoft and Sir Richard Branson, founder chairman of Virgin Atlantic.
Awarded Distinguished Associate-ship by Asia-Europe Institute, University of Malaya, 1 March 2011.
- Nowadays spends part of his time in Africa, engaging African governments on economy and planning.
- Hobbies include traveling, reading and writing on general global issues.